Who are we?
Dong Hanh, which means “Companion” in Vietnamese, is a charity founded in 2001 by a group of Vietnamese students studying in France who wished to help brilliant and underprivileged students in Vietnam. During our twelve years of operation, Dong Hanh is established as a very effective organisation that has awarded scholarships to students in 11 major universities in Vietnam. With almost 200 members and over 2000 scholarships awarded, equivalent to nearly €140,000, Dong Hanh has become a great companion to many hardworking students in Vietnam.
Dong Hanh scholarships are awarded to first- and second-year students who in general come from the countryside to study in major universities in big cities and thus need some help to adjust effectively to their new life. All of our scholarship recipients have particularly difficult family circumstances but have made a great deal of effort to overcome financial and social obstacles to achieve good results at university. At present, Dong Hanh awards scholarships to students from 11 universities:
1. University of Natural Sciences in Hanoi
2. University of Technology
3. Hanoi University of Civil Engineering
4. University of Transports and Communications (in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city)
5. Da Nang University of Technology
6. Da Nang University of Foreign Languages
7. Da Nang University of Economics
8. Da Nang University of Education
9. University of Natural Sciences, Ho Chi Minh City
10. Polytechnic University of Ho Chi Minh City
11. Vinh University
Dong Hanh scholarships are awarded twice a year at the end of each semester, with a value of €110 each (3,000,000 VNĐ)
Besides students at universities, Dong Hanh also awards scholarships to high school students from underprivileged backgrounds who wish to go to university. Currently, through local charities who promote education in Vietnam, Dong Hanh awards scholarships to high school students in Ho Chi Minh City, Hue and Ca Mau.
Dong Hanh activities are coordinated by the Executive Council, whose members are elected annually.
- The President leads the Executive Council. He is elected through a vote available to all members of the association at the annual General Assembly. The President is supported directly by the Treasurer and the General Secretary.
- The Internal Affairs team manage the review and selection of scholarship applications from the first selection at the universities until the final round in France. The team coordinates with local representatives in Vietnam for the first stage of selection and organises events for the second selection process in France. The Internal Affairs team also plays an important role in the development of human resources for Dong Hanh.
- The Public Relations team develops and maintains relationships with donors and partner organisations. The team is also responsible for finding new sponsors and creating new partnerships, which also includes the development of Dong Hanh’s branches in different cities in France and in other countries.
- The Communications team is in charge of building Dong Hanh’s image and managing editorial content for different medias (brochures, website, newsletters, and articles about Dong Hanh etc.). The group is responsible of communicating Dong Hanh’s activities to donors, students, and any other stakeholders.
- The Engineering team manages the website and data of Dong Hanh as well as the preparation of documents for online selection.
Translation: Nguyễn Anh Túc